On 7 Sept., I officially started my time in England as I had my visa and papers checked going through passport control at about 7am local time. Monday was a whirlwind--I won't get into details--but suffice it to say that I did indeed get both my bags where they needed to be, check into my hostel in London, get a cell phone SIM and even do a little sightseeing (and make some new friends at the hostel) before I crashed. However, now I am literally and figuratively on terra firma with two nights' rest under my belt.
Last night, I opted to get 'grounding' tickets for a show at the Globe. By the time I found it, I was determined to see a play--whatever play was showing. It was a good thing I was somewhat stubborn at that point because, had I skipped out on the Globe because I wasn't farmiliar with Troilus and Cressida, I would have missed the best part of a very full day of introductions to London.
I stood for the three hour show almost touching the stage amid a bunch of theater students from U of Syracuse. They had arrived last week and were completely taken by the performance (rightfully so!); their enthusiasm just amplified my enjoyment. Despite aching feet, I chortled at the jokes and gasped at the battles and (mostly) followed the plot. The floor was properly advertised as 'crowded', but the cool night air (no rain!) made it bearable.
I have a full day ahead of me (starting with breakfast, then the British Library and eventually ending in Bath), so I'm going to sign off for now. Cheers!
1 comment:
Hi iFloutist,
Glad to have more detail about your adventures than one can fit into a text message! Thanks for posting.
Love,
Mom, Dad, sis & pup
Post a Comment