26 January 2014

pan de bono, v3

After a long hiatus from exploring Columbian breads (and from writing entirely--holiday presents weren't particularly blog-worthy, given that I wanted them to be surprises at some level!), here's version 3 of the Columbian cheese bread I wrote about last year.

Pan de bono, v3
I think this is the best version yet.  They just came out of the oven, and are buttery on the inside but seem to have a harder shell than the ones I made before.

 340g (one package) of Honduran-style Queso Fresco (the package didn't give a brand, but was marked as Honduran and had a cute cow proclaiming it was "pura leche")
1/2 cup maseca brand masa (corn with lime)
1/2 cup julia brand cassava flour (farinha de mandioca, casabe)
1/2 cup Manoic starch (also cassava)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 eggs
water to moisten

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix flours and sugar in a bowl. Crumble cheese into the flour mixture by hand until the largest pieces are smaller than peas. Incorporate eggs and enough water for the dough to hold together (I did this by hand). Form into golf-ball sized spheres and place on a baking tray.  Bake for 20 minutes or until browned slightly.

Yield: 20

No comments: